New Year Resolutions — people make them every year, making their lists then trying really hard at losing weight, eating healthier, drinking less, spending less money, then generally forgetting that it was all a thing by March. So, why even do it?
I’m not saying that you shouldn’t try to better yourself. The thing is, you should always be bettering yourself. Complacency is the worst. However, you shouldn’t do it because January 1 is here again. You should begin your life changes because you want to, not because you made a rule that you have to follow. Go to the gym because you want to look good later and know how that will come to be, not because you told yourself you have to.
So, this year I’m adjusting my life patterns (again, and still). 2011 was a good year for me, and I’d like to keep along the same path… but better.
Life changes as follow:
– More writing, more blogging. I love doing it, and I have so much to say. Not that anyone cares or that it’s any good, but I enjoy it, so I’ll do it. If you don’t like it, then suck it because this is my plan not yours. Thx.
– Travel so much. This year, I think I’ll visit friends in LA and Kentucky, and then make a trip to Puerto Rico. If anyone wants to send me somewhere else (anyone need me to go to CES or Comic-Con for them?), I’ll totally go. I’ve got 4 weeks of vacation to burn – I’m going to try to not waste any of it by just sleeping in and sitting around. That’s for weekends.
– Don’t waste time on people who don’t affect me, or who affect me negatively. So what if I think a passive-aggressive statement on twitter or facebook is referring to me? If that person doesn’t have the balls to talk to me about a problem they have with me, then what does it really matter to me? Obviously it doesn’t matter enough to them to bring it to my attention, and bitching to get attention or sympathy is more satisfying to them than resolving their issue personally, so why should I waste emotional energy on it? So what if some bitch gives me a nasty look because I decided to do a dance to a good song while waiting in line at Target? It’s her loss if she can’t enjoy little things and values what strangers think of her over her enjoyment of her own time.
– In that same vein: enjoy my own friendships more. Enjoy the company I keep, because once I wipe out the slag from the life change above, I should be left only with people who are awesome and who I actually want to be with. It’s gonna be so awesome and fun.
– Go to the gym more and eat better food, because I want to look super hot on aforementioned Puerto Rico trip. Plus, treadmill time also means some great music listenin’ time.
– Read more books. In 2011, my down time was dominated by re-viewings of Arrested Development, The League, and It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia. I’m going to try to replace some of that with books. I’ve accumulated a metric shit-ton of digital novels that I’m finally ready to plow through.
– Go to more music shows. I don’t need a reason or a justification for this. Music is amazing, and seeing it live makes it so much better. I want more of it.
So, to be more concise, or for you TL;DR dicks, the plan is BE MORE BETTER. Be better at everything. Anything. Be awesome and amazing and make myself the happiest I can. Be the kind of person I want to hang out with, and hang out with the kind of people that I want to be like. Be nice to strangers, because you never know when you’re going to need unexpected kindness. Enter all the contests, because winning things is so much fun. Keep up the good work, good game good game good game.
Happy 2012, you guys… watch out for the Mayans.